If you want your customs experience to be quick and painless, plan ahead. Whether you’re moving, importing a newly purchased motorhome, or just traveling with a recreational vehicle, here’s what you need to know before you bring your motorhome over the US/Canada border
Moving or importing a motorhome across the border
There are a few overarching rules for importing your vehicle in North America:
- You’ll need to pay tax in your country of residence for motorhomes purchased abroad.
- You need to insure your RV before driving on public roads.
- You may need to send documentation in advance to the border crossing you’ll be using.
- You’ll need to prove ownership of the motorhome with a title and/or bill of sale.
- Before you can register your motorhome in Canada, it needs to pass a road safe test.
- Slide-in truck campers are considered merchandise, not vehicles–so they’re exempt from most vehicle import regulations.
Keep in mind each state and province may have its own regulations on top of any national rules.
Traveling across the border with a motorhome
Federal border patrols aim to keep their country safe from unauthorized people and products. Help make border agents’ jobs easy and make your motorhome border crossing breezy.
Check off each item on this list before you travel across the border with your RV:
- Everyone has a valid passport.
- All pets have current vaccination records.
- No weapons including firearms, mace, or switchblade knives are in the motorhome.
- No produce, meat, or dairy (packaged processed food is usually okay).
- Take off sunglasses and hats, and don’t chew gum.
- Open all windows and blinds to maximize visibility into the motorhome.
- Know where you’re going and how long you’ll be there.
Taking a motorhome over the border can be complicated if you aren’t prepared. By doing your research and following the tips above, it should be a breeze to bring your motorhome over the US/Canada border and you can start adventuring sooner.
Renting your RV
Outdoorsy RV owners make up to $32,000 a year renting their RVs.List Your RV
Your next adventure starts here by searching thousands of available RVs for rent.Search Now