This is a beautiful, fun and super functional 1991 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia camper. It features a powerful and reliable 2.0 liter 24-valve Ford Zetec engine conversion from Bostig Engineering, which specializes in powerful, modern engines for Vanagons. NOTE: This van gets around 18-21 mpg and runs on regular unleaded gas.
With an incredibly tight turning radius (better than a Honda Civic) and its short length, this Westy is as agile as a small car and with its upgraded suspension, off-road tires it's solid and comfortable to drive.
It's perfect for trekking along the coast, using as a basecamp for exploring downtown Charleston and other nearby cities and our nearby barrier islands like Folly, Morris and Isle of Palms and campgrounds like Edisto, Huntington Beach and Hunting Island. With its upgraded engine, it will also easily make the climb up the Blue Ridge Escarpment to Asheville for exploring the western North Carolina mountains. Something you’ll likely want to do during the dog days of summer.
NOTE: I made Coach-Net towing optional on this listing. BUT if you're going to rent it without Coach-net, you MUST provide proof of a roadside assistance account with AAA Premier or the $69/annual RV plan from Family Motorcoach Assocation - https://site.fmca.com/fmca-family-join. With longer rentals, either of these options will actually save you money and provide better service. Also note: I will obviously refund your money for any days you can't rent due to mechanical issues, but this rental does not include payment for things like emergency car rentals or hotels. That's why it's so important that you get trip protection that comes with AAA or FMCA.
Basics and Features:
- Auxiliary battery to power lights, computer, whatever. Automatically charged anytime the van runs, or is plugged into shore power.
- Pop top tent with front bug screen and a comfortable upstairs bed - roughly queen size with extra pad and bug screening.
- Rear bench seat transforms instantly into a double bed. We have an extra foam pad for this bed too.
- Complete privacy curtains for windows. And an external sunshade for front windows.
- Fans. 12V and 120V.
- Both front seats are super comfortable with adjustable armrests. They rotate to turn the van into a room.
- Stereo with USB/iphone adaptor.
- Burly Firestone Destination A/T off road tires, lift kit from GoWesty and Bilstein shocks.
- Remote control LED interior lights.
- Three point (shoulder) seatbelts for all four seats.
- Safety inspected.
- Yeti 50 Quart Cooler with seat pad and instantly detachable mounting system behind passenger seat. Keeps several days worth of groceries ice cold. Note: we took out the fridge in favor of this setup. You can rent a fridge from us, but you probably won't need it.
- Cups, bowls, plates and utensils.
- Coffee cups.
- Cookware: Pots, pans, skillet, grater, strainer, measuring cups, openers, kettle, etc.
- Paper towels, toilet paper, (1 roll each) ziplocs, foil, trashbags, and other useful necessities.
- French press coffee maker.
- Campsuds soap for dishes and human bodies.
- Trash can.
- Cleaning spray.
- Salt and pepper.
- Cooking oil spray.
- Lighters and matches.
- Van features a sink with 11 gallon tank, adjustable electric pump faucet with stainless steel dish drain pan and two burner propane stove.
- 2 Headlamps, and a couple of flashlights.
- ARB 2.5 meter square Awning. Super easy to deploy.
- Sleeping: Waterproof mattress pads, 4 pillows, bottom sheet and sleeping bags.
- Camp table.
- Basic toolkit.
- Camp chairs.
- External propane stove. Runs on propane bottles.
- First aid kit.
- Whisk broom.
Optional for an extra fee:
Roof Racks: Yakima round bars.
Yakima Sky Box roof box.
Bike Rack. Rear trailer hitch rack.
Camping tent - sleeps 3.
Bike, surfboards and standup paddleboards can be rented just down the road at Folly Beach. We recommend Ocean Surf Shop and Cool Breeze Bike Rentals.
12V TruckFridge Battery Powered Refrigerator.
As for myself. I'm a journalist, have been a VW camper owner for years and have written about them in Outside and the New York Times. I think they're about the greatest vehicle ever invented.
Outside Magazine - The Ride of Your LIfe. https://www.outsideonline.com/2093836/ride-your-life
Outside Magazine - The Purpose Driven Van. https://www.outsideonline.com/1856606/purpose-driven-van
Outside Magazine - the Greatest Car Ever Made. https://www.outsideonline.com/1859811/best-adventure-vehicle-vanagon
NYTimes - Travel - Drawn to a 1980's camper with the soul of an SUV. http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/18/travel/driving-drawn-to-a-1980-s-camper-with-the-soul-of-an-suv.html
NYTimes - Travel - California Coasting.
Learn more about us and our vehicles at Eastcoastwestys.com