Gretta Van Lefturn is a 2003 VW Eurovan Full Camper. Outfitted by Winnebago, USA, she features the same basic "Westfalia" layout as other classic VW Vanagon and Microbus-chassis campers, but with a few added and more modern touches. These include:
- An upfitted Truckfridge TF49 refrigerator.
- Frigid air conditioning.
- A powerful propane furnace for cold-weather camping.
- A built-in rear rinse-off outdoor shower.
- A lift kit, Fox Shocks and Yokohama off-road tires.
- Dual front airbags, anti-lock brakes, front wheel drive traction control and a butter-smooth 201-horsepower VR6 engine. NOTE: This van gets around 18-21 mpg and REQUIRES premium fuel.
NOTE: I made Outdoorsy Roadside Assistance optional on this listing. BUT if you're going to rent it without assistance, you MUST provide proof of a roadside assistance account with AAA Premier or the $69/annual RV plan from Family Motorcoach Assocation - https://site.fmca.com/fmca-family-join. With longer rentals, either of these options will actually save you money and provide better service. Also note: I will obviously refund your money for any days you can't rent due to mechanical issues, but this rental does not include payment for things like emergency car rentals or hotels. That's why it's so important that you get trip protection that comes with AAA or FMCA.
Fully outfitted for camping, Gretta's perfect for trekking along the coast, using as a basecamp for exploring downtown Charleston and other nearby cities and our nearby barrier islands like Folly, Morris and Isle of Palms and campgrounds like Edisto, Huntington Beach and Hunting Island. Powerful and agile, she also handles the mountain roads around Asheville like a cross between a Passat and a Sprinter.
- Auxiliary battery to power lights, computer, whatever. Automatically charged anytime the van runs, or is plugged into shore power.
- Pop top tent with front bug screen and a comfortable upstairs bed - double-size and comfortable for two adults, with extra pad and bug screening.
- The rear bench seat transforms instantly into a nearly double-sized bed that will sleep 2. (Though this bed is probably better for 2 kids than adults) We have an extra foam pad for this bed too.
- Complete privacy curtains for all windows.
- Fans. 12V and 120V.
- Both front seats are super comfortable with adjustable armrests. They rotate to turn the van's interior into a room.
- Stereo with bluetooth lighter adaptor.
- Upgraded wheels/tires/suspention. Lift kit from GoWesty, Fox Offroad Shocks and burly Yokohama Geolander Tires. This van is front wheel drive.
- Bug screens on driver and passenger side sliding windows and poptop.
- Rear airplane-style reading lights.
- Three point (shoulder) seatbelts for all four seats.
- Safety inspected.
- NOTE: I can provide a shore-power air conditioner that ducts into the roof of the van. I'll also have to show you how to use the setup!
- Truckfridge TF49 refrigerator. Replaces original stock unit and is colder and far more reliable.
- Cups, bowls, plates and utensils.
- Coffee cups.
- Cookware: Pots, pans, skillet, grater, strainer, measuring cups, openers, kettle, etc.
- Necessities: Paper towels, toilet paper, (1 roll each) ziplocs, foil, trashbags, and other useful necessities.
- French press coffee maker.
- Campsuds soap for dishes and human bodies.
- Trash can.
- Cleaning spray.
- Salt and pepper.
- Cooking oil spray.
- Lighters and matches.
- Kitchen: Van features a sink with 11 gallon tank, adjustable electric pump faucet with stainless steel dish drain pan and two burner propane stove.
- 1 Headlamps, and a couple of flashlights.
- ARB 2.5 meter square Awning. Super easy to deploy.
- Sleeping: Waterproof mattress pads, 4 pillows, bottom sheet and sleeping bags.
- Camp table.
- Basic toolkit.
- Camp chairs.
- External propane stove. Runs on propane bottles.
- First aid kit.
- Whisk broom.
As for myself. I'm a journalist, have been a VW camper owner for years and have written about them in Outside and the New York Times. I think they're about the greatest vehicle ever invented.
Outside Magazine - The Ride of Your LIfe. https://www.outsideonline.com/2093836/ride-your-life
Outside Magazine - The Purpose Driven Van. https://www.outsideonline.com/1856606/purpose-driven-van
Outside Magazine - the Greatest Car Ever Made. https://www.outsideonline.com/1859811/best-adventure-vehicle-vanagon
NYTimes - Travel - Drawn to a 1980's camper with the soul of an SUV. http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/18/travel/driving-drawn-to-a-1980-s-camper-with-the-soul-of-an-suv.html
NYTimes - Travel - California Coasting.
Learn more about us and our vehicles at Eastcoastwestys.com