We love to help.

We love to help.

What do I need to know about taxes?

RV rentals in the United States are typically subject to two types of taxes: income tax and transactional tax (sales tax, motor vehicle rental tax, etc.).

Income tax

If you earn money renting out your RV, whether through a company or as an individual, you may have to report your income and pay income tax. You can factor these costs into your nightly rate on Outdoorsy, if you like.

If you receive at least $600 in reportable payments in a year (starting with the 2022 tax year), Outdoorsy will prepare a 1099-K tax form for you — so long as we have your tax information. We’ll also send a copy to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). 

You can locate your earnings at any time in your Dashboard

As always, you should consult with a tax professional to determine your actual tax liabilities. You may be able to reduce your tax owed if you keep track of certain expenses. 

Transactional tax

Outdoorsy may be required to collect transactional taxes on your vehicle bookings, depending on the state where you keep your RV. 

Depending on the state or locality where you keep your RV, you may also be required to collect and remit certain transactional taxes (such as sales tax or motor vehicle rental tax). 

For more information, check out our sales tax FAQ.

Outdoorsy does not provide tax, legal, or accounting advice. Business reports are prepared for informational purposes only and are not intended to provide, or be relied on, for, tax, legal, or accounting advice. You should consult your own tax, legal, and accounting advisors before engaging in any transaction.