Hermes – our non-smoking 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan with Stow 'N Go
touring seating for 7 (without bed)
or roomy seating for 4 (with comfy bed folded back)
or front seating for 2 (with bed made).
Insurance: Outdoorsy mandatory $30-$50/day insurance is not available. Your own "comprehensive" insurance policy will likely already cover Hermes. If your insurance is only minimum legal, you can add RentalCover.com super easy and cheap. Credit card CDW insurance may not work. If you don't have USA auto insurance already, StateFarm has a great "Personal Mobility Policy" that is about $200 for 6 months (with pro-rated refunds?), and also add RentalCover.com. Whatever the case, you need to demonstrate insurance.
Picking up / Dropping off: please allow at least an hour for safety and familiarity checks, loading / unloading gear, and inspection/Outdoorsy paperwork.
Road trip the US and/or Canada without spending a fortune!
1) Rent our Hermes and cut your fuel costs by 70% off big RVs when you cruise around 56mph (or 90kph) getting over 30 mpg (9 l/100km). Hermes drives easy and rides soft and quiet, so the journey itself is sweet. Or get somewhere fast using 6 l/100km.
2) Rent our Hermes and cut your hotel costs. Though the full/double sized 6” thick foam & memory foam mattress was trimmed to 49” wide, the side storage ledges allow for 60” of elbow room which is plenty comfortable for two, even with a small dog!
3) Rent our Hermes and minimize your campsite costs.
a. “Rest Areas” along state highways allow up to 8 hour safety rests.
b. Walmart stores have a policy of welcoming clean overnight parking.
c. BLM land (1/8th the US landmass) is free if staying less than 14 days per area.
d. “Dispersed camping” is free in National Forest lands (not National Parks).
e. Hermes is neighborhood friendly with standard tinted windows that obscure possible stealth resting.
4) Rent our Hermes with our camping gear Add-On, and cut your food costs with a quiet 20qt compressor fridge (or freezer). Keep groceries and left-overs safe for later.
5) Rent our Hermes and minimize your camping equipment costs. For one low single depreciation fee of $49, borrow a tent, awning, solar showers, camp toilet, privacy pop-up, TP, shovel, axe, hammock, sleeping bags, bedding, pillows, towels, stove, headlamps, first-aid kit, table, chairs, pots, pans, plates, cups, cutlery, DC-AC inverter, USB multi-charger, tools, bikes, and more... even a kayak if you have room.
6) Rent our Hermes and minimize your phone/data costs. For likely around $2/day, use our extra smart-phone with US phone number for GPS navigation, calling, hot-spotting data for your foreign phone, pictures, emergencies, et cetera. Watching movies or uploading gobs of photos will cost lots more.
6) Rent our Hermes and cut your mileage costs, since we give you 300 average daily miles, which allows serious distance, yet encourages local adventures along the way.
7) Rent our Hermes with our camping gear Add-On, and cut your airline baggage costs. Just bring yourself, ID, toothbrush, swimsuit, underwear. Visit thrift stores everywhere for more or local clothes at crazy low prices. Travel light, so you can afford to travel often.
Hermes has blue cloth interior, a 3.8L V6 gasoline engine, automatic transmission, dual air conditioning, roof DVD/RCA/HDMI/USB/SD player, fire extinguisher, jumper cables, jack/spare tire, Class II hitch (3500/300/1.25) /w either ball, Yakima rack, 20 gallon (76 liter) fuel tank. Hermes gets 15 to 31 mpg (19.0 – 9.0 l/100km) depending on driving speed/style/location, which yields 300 to 600 miles (482 – 965 km) per tank of fuel.